2020 Summer Reading and VolunTEENS!
Even though it’s going to look a little different this year-summer reading is still on! Our theme this year is Imagine Your Story and we have been working hard to make sure that it is going to be a great summer. If you are interested in volunteering for the library this year I would encourage you to do so, but none of your volunteer hours are going to be in the library. All volunteer activities will be done at home or virtually this summer in order to keep you safe.
Here’s how it will work:
1) Fill out and have a parent or guardian sign your volunteen application. It is important that you and your parent/guardian are aware that since this year’s summer reading program will be virtual, pictures and videos that are submitted may be posted on the library’s social media pages. If you are not comfortable with that you don’t need to complete those activities. If you return the form with a signature and send me pictures/video, I will be reviewing them and posting them.
2) Sign up for summer reading! You can sign up and participate virtually with the library’s Beanstack challenge (I’ll send out the link once it’s live). Paper logs will also be available to print off if you would like to use that.
3) Complete volunTEEN activities! This year the volunTEEN activities are part of your summer reading challenge and you can earn a ticket for completing the badge. If you would like to receive credit for your activity that you complete, send me an email and I will keep track for you. You may repeat activities, again just email me to let me know. You will receive the time credited for the activity.
- Record your own booktalk (2 hrs)
- Write questions for our teen book club (2hrs)
- Pick up Litter (use gloves and sanitizer (based on the time spent completing the activity)
- Fill out the Teen Survey (30 mins)
- Write positive messages outside; chalk your driveway, make a sign to hang in your window (2 hrs.)
- Social Distance Selfie: take a picture of yourself observing social distance guidelines this summer (2 hrs.)
- Hoopla Review: check out something from Hoopla (book/audiobook/music/movie/tv show) and write a review of it. (2 hrs)
- Meme Yourself: Take a funny meme and make it library/book/summer reading related (2 hrs.)
- Read to Someone Else (1 hr)
- Create a Fantasy YA Booklist (2 hrs)